The vast majority of morbidly obese adults have struggled with weight most of their lives. The memories of childhood taunts are still fresh on their minds. As adults, they may face disapproval from family and friends, sneers and negative remarks from strangers, and discrimination at work.
For these people, cosmetic issues may be the impetus behind the desire for surgery. For many, seeing the “before” and “after” photos of patients who have successfully lost weight makes it seem like looking better is the reason for having surgery. A desire to look good is never reason enough for surgery, however cosmetic benefits are only a positive side effect.
At Foothills Weight Loss Specialists, the main goals of bariatric surgery are to:
1. Improve your health. Following surgery, the resolution and improvement rates for adult-onset diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease and hypercholesterolemia are remarkable.
Our patients see a positive change in their health:
- “My blood pressure and cholesterol are better. I can exercise and climb steps so much easier and feel so much better!” – Lori
- “My doctor said I was on the verge of a heart attack and stroke before. I’m able to do more than ever before now.” – Ken
- “My back pain is gone, my IBS is much better, I’m off all meds!” – Thomas
2. Improve your quality of life. Patients report that they not only get their life back, they get a life they never thought possible. Here’s what patients are saying:
- “It’s a day and night difference! I have my quality of life back, mu self esteem and confidence. I can chase after my 4 -year old!” – Ashley
- “I have more energy. I have better self esteem. So, physically and mentally I feel better.” – Pat
3. Increase your life-span. – Recent studies show that the risk of an early death for those struggling with obesity is twice that of a non-obese person. Following successful weight loss, the risk of death decreases by 89 percent.
- “My lifestyle has changed and I will be able to stay with my children a lot longer.” – Ken
If you’re considering weight loss surgery to fit into some “skinny jeans,” ask you to also consider the benefits that improved health can bring to your life and the lives of the ones you love. At Foothills Weight Loss Specialists, we know that the transformation to better health is your very best reason for bariatric surgery!
To learn more, click here for information about attending one of our free seminars to see if weight loss surgery is right for you!