How to Maintain a Healthy Diet After Surgery
Weight loss surgery is the only long-lasting, effective tool for treating morbid obesity. However, it is important to note that factors such as proper nutrition and lifestyle changes also play a critical role in maintaining a healthy diet and weight loss after surgery.
What to Expect at Foothills
At Foothills Weight Loss Surgeons in Knoxville, TN, our patients undergo a Nutrition and Exercise Consultation prior to their surgery, during which our dietitian discusses the changes that will occur to their digestive system and provide guidelines for maintaining a healthy diet.
Following weight loss surgery, it is important for individuals to strictly follow the guidelines provided by the bariatric surgeon and our team.
Since each patient’s weight loss surgery procedure may differ, post-surgery guidelines may also differ, but patients typically will eat significantly smaller portions due to changes in their digestive system.
Listed below are some of the generally accepted dietary guidelines a weight loss surgery patient may encounter:
- When you resume eating solid food, it is essential that you chew thoroughly. You will not be able to eat steaks or other chunks of meat if they are not ground or chewed thoroughly.
- Eat protein first.
- Do not drink fluids while eating. They will make you feel full before you have consumed enough food.
- Omit desserts and other items with sugar listed as one of the first three ingredients.
- Omit carbonated drinks, high-calorie nutritional supplements, milk shakes, high-fat foods and foods with high fiber content.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Limit snacking between meals.
Learn more about our program
Ultimately, good nutrition stemming from healthy eating habits is essential in maintaining a healthy diet after surgery. We understand the road to weight loss success takes time and commitment, and Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Mark Colquitt and our team have years of experience in helping many patients achieve success.
To find out more about the steps to weight loss surgery at Foothills Weight Loss Surgeons in Knoxville, TN, visit https://www.foothillsweightloss.com/new-patients/steps-to-surgery/.